Saturday, April 14, 2012

Some Non-Stories and a Vegetable Frittata


This is normally the part where I tell you some story.  You know... I did this, thought that, and then BAM, here I am, eating what you see above.  But I don't have that today.  What I do have is a really great and EASY recipe that I love, and some pretty pictures to go along with it.  Or I could tell you about cutting open pig hearts with my students yesterday and all the blo---- ok, never mind.  Like I said, recipe and good pictures.  Sounds about right for today :)


This is one of those quick-fix meals that is super cheap as well.  Vegetarian to boot.  I like meat, don't get me wrong, but I like vegetables as well.  Speaking of vegetables...

Alright, quick story.  (This is me typing this, are you surprised?)

The other day I wrote on my blog about all that I had learned this year (which you totally read, right?  RIGHT?!), the very first one being that "veggies have flavor -- and it isn't Ranch".  And then later that night I saw that Google Translate had sent traffic to my blog so I clicked on in to find out what that was all about.  Basically someone in Brazil was reading my blog (Ha!  Caught you!) and needed it translated.  Super cool.  I am all over that.  Interested in seeing how well they did, I started reading through... Home = Casa, About = Sobre, so far so good.  And then I see #1 of what I learned:  "Vegetarians have flavor  -- and it isn't Ranch."  I am a cannibal and I didn't even know it!  HAHAHA! 

Ok, back to the recipe and pictures.  (Yes, this is how my brain works, and no, I do not have ADD.  My mind just runs in circles a lot.)

Four easy steps to make this frittata happen:


1) Cook onion and green beans over medium (with a tablespoon of olive oil) for 8 minutes.
2) Add tomatoes and cook again, 2 minutes.
3) Add egg/sour cream concoction.  Cook 2 minutes until the edges are set.
4) Put in oven on 425F for 8 minutes.

From start to finish, 20 minutes.  My kind of cooking!  My guess would be that it is probably yours, too.


Recipe taken from Everyday Food, March 2012
  • Yield Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 medium red onion, diced medium
  • 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 tomato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I did two.)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add onion and green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato, and season with salt and pepper. Add egg mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan and cook, undisturbed, until edge is set, about 2 minutes.
  2. Transfer skillet to upper rack in oven and bake until slightly puffed and almost set, about 8 minutes. Heat broiler and broil until cheese is browned and bubbling, about 1 minute. Run a rubber spatula around edge of frittata and transfer to a plate. Cut into wedges and serve with potatoes and garlic (which will be in another blog post, so just serve with whatever you would like).

Cost: $7.92                   Cost Per Serving (4) $1.98

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! Now to see if I can get my husband to try it :P {new follower!}

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...