Friday, April 13, 2012

Baking in Brazil -- Sour Cream Substitutes

Yesterday I posted the recipe for this:


but then I had friends in Brazil say, "How can I make that if I don't have this...?"


Well, I did a little digging around and I have some good info for you.

If you are needing sour cream for a recipe and do not have access to it (like those of you in Brazil), there are several different things you can use depending on what you are going to use it for.  Baking, dips, toppings... they all have their own ways to make a good substitute.

Substitute one of the following for each 1 cup of sour cream:
*I cannot remember if you can find buttermilk in Brazil.  But if you can't, have no fear.  It is super simple to "make".  I do it regularly so I don't have to waste money on something I will only use a little bit of before it goes bad.  The formula is easy --

1 cup regular milk + 1 tbsp. white vinegar + 5 minutes wait time = buttermilk


*If you are using yogurt, strain it through a cheese cloth first and then let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour.

Enjoy your chocolate-banana-bread or whatever else it is you are eating!

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried sour cream in banana bread - and it sounds horrible. Okay, I admit - I despise sour cream. I've always put in a packet of vanilla pudding in my banana bread mixture. It makes it super moist and extra delicious. Just the dry packet contents. You know, I bet it would work great with chocolate pudding to make chocolate banana bread. Hmm, now I just may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tiffany, you've just help me out! For real! I'm from Rio de Janeiro and, often, I got stuck in a recipe that requires sour cream. Result: I can't prepare it! Thanks a lot ofr the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, you can't even taste the flavor, just the creaminess. So really, if you do with sour cream or something else I don't really care, just DO IT! :)

    A Vanessa, que bom! That is why I do what I do, so you can enjoy good American treats there and we can enjoy good Brazilian treats here. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I found that I only had half of the amount of sour cream I needed for cheesecake and then I found this. Thank you so much for this. Now my cheesecake is saved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I have found that I never worry about sour cream any more... either I have it, or I don't ;) Hope it comes out tasting delicious!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...