Tuesday, September 11, 2012

In-N-Out's Animal Fries, At Home


You all should know by now that I am a Californian girl.  And being such, I am an In-N-Out girl.  There is nary a native Californian that is not.


In-N-Out.  It's a place of beauty.  The menu is simple, the food is made right when you order it (as in the potatoes are turned into french fries right then... you see it happen), and the customer service is excellent.  Although it doesn't happen often, we sometimes crave fast food, and when we do, In-N-Out is the place we go to.  (I can't remember the last time I had other fast food... and I plan on keeping it that way.)


When I saw last week's Sundays with Joy recipe (my super baking group I belong to) was chili cheese fries, I was a little disappointed.  Not in Joy the Baker; the recipe looks amazing for those who like chili-cheese things.  But my husband does not anything spicy and my belly does not like anything cheesy.  So it was a no-go for us.  (You however, should totally check it out.  Joy shared it on her blog this week and it looks GREAT!)

I didn't stay disappointed for long, though.  I needed a fry recipe I could do and like, and it was a no brainer -- Animal Fries from In-N-Out.


Animal Fries, or French Fries Animal Style, are one of In-N-Out's items on their "secret menu".  Sure, the big menu says you can only get a hamburger, cheeseburger, or a double-double, but if you are in the know (AKA you are from the West Coast) then you can also get a Grilled Cheese (burger without meat), your burger animal style (with grilled onion and extra sauce), or many other things.

Luckily for me, I am in the know.


Some people say that the secret to In-N-Out is their "spread".  I disagree.  I think the secret to In-N-Out is their everything.  Yet I get it, the spread is great.  And now we can enjoy some of it at home, where ever we are, In-N-Out nearby or no.  (I would actually never recommend for you to not go to In-N-Out, because they are just plain awesome.  But if for some reason you cannot, well... I've got your back.)

Animal Fries -- you take the french fries, place a slice of cheese on top while they are hot so it can melt, top that with grilled onions, and then scoop some Spread on top.  Those are Animals Fries.  And they are GOOD.


My suggestion?  Take a fork, mix it together, and dig in.

And make a little extra of the spread.  You will want to eat it again.  And soon.

Friends who have left California for Brazil or Michigan or WhereEver, you are very welcome :)

For more information about why In-N-Out is so incredibly awesome, read this great article I found.  Then you, too, will understand why we Californians are so crazy about it.

IN-N-OUT SPREAD

INGREDIENTS
2 Tablespoons Mayo
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
1/4 teaspoon mustard (some recipes called for it, some did not.  I did it.)
1 teaspoon dill pickle relish
pinch of sugar
half a cap of white vinegar

DIRECTIONS
Mix.  Eat.  Enjoy.

(I made a batch of baked french fries and caramelized some onion.  I do not have cheese on my Animal Fries, but you should do it.  It will be perfect that way!)

COST (Animal Fries): $1.30 per serving


9 comments:

  1. Oh yum! We are going to California in 3 weeks and will definitely eat at In-N-Out! Thanks for the info Tiffany! Now, we're in the know. Love that spread, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM!! I gotta be careful when I go to your blog as I always get super hungery LOL! Those look amazing (and great photos as always!)
    XO - Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sauce looks really yummy! I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting... I have to try this. It was funny when we got back to California that first thing we did was to get in-n-out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just stole my heart. Tucking this one in my back pocket for EVERY moment I miss home... Which means right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I have a confession. I was on the West Coast and didn't try In and Out. Tisk Tisk! Please share at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you just made my day! I live in Chicago and dream of them! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to make them!

    www.agirlandherfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you put the sauce on there cold, warm, or at room temperature?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...