Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bonkers for Bananas: Banana Rum Ice Cream


It's HERE! 

I leaked it out on Facebook the other day that I discovered the secret to making ice cream without an ice cream maker and everyone kept asking me, "HOW?"  Clearly, this is something that is desired knowledge, and I have it.  Kind of makes me feel powerful... and makes me question if I should share my secret.  What can I say?  Knowledge is power, and we all like power.  But I figure if Martha Stewart shared it with me I should be kind enough to share it with you.

Banana Rum Ice Cream.  Four words that really mean just one: delicious. 


A bunch of bananas, some sweetened condensed milk, a pint heavy whipping cream, and a little bit of rum and sugar cooked together.  That's all it took.


As a side note, not only did I make ice cream for the first time, but I made whipped cream for the first time.  It was always one of those things I knew I could do, I just never did.  Now I can check that off of my list of things that must be mastered in the kitchen.


This recipe called for a lot of banana.  That would be where it gets the title, right?  Now that I have mastered it once my brain is rolling with all the possible ice cream ideas.  Like, what if I did pineapple with the condensed milk and added coconut milk instead of the rum/sugar concoction?  Would that make pina colada flavor?  Or how about chocolate with the condensed milk and stirring in bits of Oreo's?  Or maybe Andes Mints?  Oh, the possibilities are endless!  And I am completely alright with that.


I figure as long as you have the whipped cream (fresh, from you), the condensed milk with its added flavor, and something to stir in that is sweet, you can just mix them all together and freeze overnight.  It worked with bananas, I am sure it will work with other things.



Now the secret is out.  Now you know you, too, can make ice cream in your own kitchen.  Please, let me know what flavors YOU come up with!

Whenever you see this logo, click it to see the other fun banana recipes I am trying this month.  Next up, simple banana popsicles and a banana panini... Go ahead, click it :)


Recipe from Everyday Food, March 2012
  • Prep Time 10 minutes
  • Total Time 40 minutes plus freezing
  • Yield Makes 1 1/2 quarts

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup dark rum
  • 3/4 cup golden raisins  (Didn't use them -- I don't like raisins.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 soft-ripe medium bananas, coarsely chopped
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups cold heavy cream

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, combine rum, raisins, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high.  Let boil for five minutes and remove from heat, letting cool completely, 30 minutes.
  2. In a food processor, combine bananas and condensed milk and process until smooth, 2 minutes. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold banana mixture into whipped cream. Fold in rum-raisin mixture. Pour into a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan, cover with plastic, and freeze until firm, about 8 hours (or covered, up to 1 week).

Cost: $7.94                   Cost Per Serving (8 bowls) $0.99

1 comment:

  1. omg, no ice cream machine! This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, it sounds absolutely delicious!

    xo
    Bailey
    http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...