Monday, May 14, 2012

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks... (Radish Toast)

I grew up eating very few vegetables.  Not just in quantity, but in variety as well.  As much as I am sure my mother would hate for me to admit this to you, I pretty much just knew peas, frozen carrot mixtures, and lettuce.  Sad, but true.  (Fruit, on the other hand, was a little more prevalent in our house.  Cookies and Lucky Charms were much more prevalent in our house.)

So now as an adult I am faced with the task of learning to like veggies I thought were gross for the first 20-something years of my life.

Like radishes.


I posted on facebook a week or so ago that I needed ideas to make radishes sound/seem better for me, and I was flooded with ideas.  Some simple, some a little gourmet, all delicious sounding.  The first one I tried: Radish Sandwiches.


The idea (via my friend Lindsey) went something like this: take bread, spread mayo on it, layer slices of radishes, and add a dash of salt.  Leave it open-faced and enjoy.

That sounded great.  But then I got to thinking... I like toast with mayo, tomatoes, salt, and then cheese broiled in the oven.  How would that taste with radishes?  And smoky mozzarella? 


As you can see, I didn't actually have any regular bread on hand, but I did have left over hamburger buns.  I threw those down, spread out the mayo, sliced those radishes, and sprinkled that mozzarella on top.  Popped that tray in the oven and broiled for five minutes.


That, combined with beans and rice and salad on the side, became dinner.  Twice.  Yes, simplicity can be wonderful. 

One radish recipe down, many more to go.  And I have no problem with that.

(Sorry, no fancy-pants pictures of the finished product.  It was dark.  I was tired.  The end.)

INGREDIENTS
Four slices of bread
Mayo
small bunch of radishes, sliced
salt
1/4 cup smoke mozzarella, grated

DIRECTIONS
Spread mayo on bread, layer radishes, sprinkle salt, and add a medium bit of cheese to top.  Put in oven on broil (high) for five minutes.  Make sure to check frequently to avoid burning bread.

COST PER PIECE: $0.38

8 comments:

  1. I haven't had radishes in a LONG time. I'm def going to be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks fantastic! I am actually hosting a radish linky party at http://www.2sisters2cities.com/2012/05/fresh-produce-tuesday-week-8-radishes as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series. I would love if you submitted this recipe!

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome. I have lots of radishes right now and can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled upon your blog and am now your newest follower. These recipes are making my pregnant mouth water! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! I love getting organic radishes and sauteing them to put in my potato leek soup, but I never really thought to use them in any other way. I would probably brown them a bit first to take a bit of the sharpness out, but I think radish sandwiches, the way you make them, are going to be on the menu VERY soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...