Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sundays with Joy -- Leek & Asparagus Quiche


For the longest time I have been wanting to join some sort of cooking group.  I did the cookie swap in November, which was a blast, and I wanted more.  Unfortunately all the groups I found didn't fit right for me.  Either they were doing stuff I wanted to do but didn't have the skill level required (remember -- I am teaching myself how to cook here, folks) OR I had the skill level required but not the time OR I had the time but didn't want to do the recipes.  But I have a found something that fits me perfectly.  Sundays with Joy.


Here is why it fits me:  I am not only learning to cook, but I am finally, finally, starting to want to bake.  I used to hate it.  All that measuring and what-not... it was too complicated.  But as of late I have found myself baking a lot.  Cookies, tarts, bread... it has gotten into me.  And I am really really enjoying it.  So going through Joy the Baker's cookbook one recipe per week sounded like a great plan for me.  Especially since the title had the word "simple" in it ;)



For the past two weeks I have seen a few of the bloggers I follow (specifically Bakeaholic Mama, the starter of this brilliant plan) put up recipes for scones and muffins, and I thought, "I want those!"   Well, if I want some, I know how to get them... get in the kitchen and make it happen, right? 

The funny thing is that this week the recipe was not a sweet-treat such as a scone or a muffin, but a quiche.  That probably doesn't sound so funny to you -- until you hear that my poor husband has eaten egg-something everynight this week.  Fried eggs, scrambled eggs, egg and avocado pizzas... I think the last thing he really wanted to eat this weekend was some more eggs.


But he was good about it and supported me.  Which I needed, because I kind of felt like a fool asking the grocery-store-dude if he could help me find leeks when they were right there.  I guess that is what happens when I have only ever bought frozen, chopped leeks before...  (BTW - found out that nutmeg is considered a "seasonal item" at Trader Joe's.  Why?  I get that we use it in pumpkin pie, but wouldn't they think we might possibly want to use it at other times of the year for other things as well?)


I was happy he was a good sport, and so was he.  He loved this.  And when I told him some of the other bakers were putting bacon in it he said, "Oh!  You HAVE to do that next time!" 

It is official: there will be a next time.  Probably with bacon.

I have done it.  My very first recipe from my new cooking group.  I feel pretty darn good about myself right now!  Ninety-nine more to go...


Recipe from Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes.

Basically, it is a puff-pastry fitted to the dish (I used a thawed-once-frozen one and I don't feel guilty at all!) filled with cooked asparagus and leeks on the bottom and egg/milk/cream/and a dash of nutmeg, along with a big handful of Gruyeye cheese.  Bake at 350* for 55 minutes and viola!-- breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner is served :)

(For the full recipe, get the cookbook!)

Cost: $14.25                   Cost Per Serving (8): $1.78

PLUS bread, salad... around $2.50 per plate
(The cost could be lower if you find cheap asparagus -- I could not.)

14 comments:

  1. Yum! Any ideas on a replacement for asparagus? If you think it's expensive in California, just imagine here in Brazil...

    I was thinking pees and spinach together. Weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about green beans? Can you find them there? Spinach would be great, but with peas... hmm... let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete
    2. I just came back to check your response and saw that I wrote "pees". OMG Thanks for the idea, though.

      Delete
    3. HAHAHA! I didn't even notice, although clearly I did not fall into the same trap ;) Yeah, no pee in your quiche please. I can guarantee that wouldn't be good...

      Delete
  2. it turned out just gorgeous - lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! I'm so happy I stumbled across your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That's something I definitely should try, looks AMAZING Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Friend! Coming from you it means A LOT!!! (You are my favorite cook/photographer, Amanda!)

      Delete
  5. Looks great! And I definitely recommend the bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally going to do it next time!

      Delete
  6. I've made this before and it was SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing!! Can't wait for next weeks recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious, and the perfect time in spring for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...