Sunday, March 4, 2012

Not Barefoot in the Kitchen -- Salami Roll-Ups


I am excited to share with you a new part of my blog: my Not Barefoot in the Kitchen section!

As we have all discovered, I have learned to love to cook within the last couple of years.  That would be evident by this blog, right?  But another thing I have learned to love is fashion.  It was not too long ago that a friend told, in love of course, "Tiffany, you need to spice it up.  You always look like the girl next door."  (This was before the movie The Girl Next Door, btw, so no, not that one.)  My reply?  "But I am the girl next door!"  Which for me meant cute, sweet, and that was it.  I would admire the girls in college who were bold enough to try a new look from the safety of my shirts, jeans, flip-flops, and ponytail.  Maybeeee some make-up.  Maybe.  But that was it.  I would admire them, think something along the lines of, "Wow, they look nice..." and then be on my way.  Because I couldn't do that, right?

Well, along with growing up and learning that I actually could cook, I grew up and learned that I actually could try something fun and new.  I am definitely no fashionista, but I am not the girl next door anymore.  Not that there was anything wrong with that...


So this new column or whatever it is called will be a place where I can put these two together: my new found love for cooking and my new found love for style -- affordable style.


I would like to give a shout-out to Britt at The Magnolia Pair for being bold enough to start a style column on her page.  Her confidence gave me confidence.  (And, FYI Britt, yes our outfits are strikingly similar... I think we were inspired by the same Pinterest pin originally, and then you helped me find out where to get the pants I wanted :)  Man, first What I Love Wednesday and now this... this lady has been an inspiration to me!

Today my recipe is for salami roll-ups.  You know how much I love Trader Joe's, right?  Well, this was a sample one day.  Fell in love.  Immediately.  And the good thing about Trader Joe's is that there are all kinds of salami there, not just pork... you can get beef or veggie, whatever you prefer.  Love that place.  And you have to admit, when you look at these pants you think "salami".  At least I do, anyway.


Three basic steps and you are there:  Spread cream cheese over lavash bread.  Place your toppings.  Roll and cut.  Ta-da!


We like to put it in the fridge when we are done.  They taste good room temperature, but they taste amazing when the cream cheese is cold. 


As you can tell from above, most of this outfit is from Forever 21.  Sometimes I see their stuff and want to gag myself.  But this Spring collection is incredible.  I had to practice some real self-restraint.  The pants were $24.80 and the top was a whopping $11.80.  The shoes I found at Payless (yes, Payless -- I have found their high heels to be really decent and cute) for $29.99.  And since nude can go with anything, I will definitely be sporting these a lot!


Salami Roll-Ups

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pack lavash bread
  • 1 tub cream cheese
  • 1 pack salami
  • fresh basil leaves

Cost: $9.27                   Cost Per Piece (24) $0.39

16 comments:

  1. You're super cute! I love this section of combining food and style. Wish I could feel comfortable wearing skinny jeans, and rock them like you do - but I don't even have the courage to try them on at the store! Maybe one day. Maybe. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! It took some courage originally (about 6 months ago) and now they are my favorite! Try them on!!! DO IT!!! You now have a great body on which to rock them, right? ;)

      Delete
  2. Genius! These are super cute and sound super tasty! Perfect for a party or something! Love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! What a great combo of food and fashion...I'm probably your polar opposite w/fashion having always been the one who 'stuck out' who pushed the boundaries w/fashion...yep, my Boho way of life xoxo Ally :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! these look great! what a cute post :)

    xoxo,
    ~Melissa
    www.ChinDeep.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're creativity is heartening and inspiring to see! I love the colors that I see in your art Tiffany!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog...as it helped me to find yours! And I love it! Not only are you beautiful, but funny too. And those roll-ups look so yummy. I just love Trader Joe's...I wish Denver would get one!

    Excited to follow you...
    XO - Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you here!

      I cannot believe Denver (of all places) doesn't have Trader Joe's! It seems like the perfect city for it, if you ask me!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh you are so sweet! Thanks for the shout out! But more importantly, you look adorable!! I love it, you picked out such a cute outfit, you look so cute! Um and those shoes, can I have them lol? Thanks again girl, I can't even tell you how much it means to me that you loved my style so much that it inspired you, I wish I could give you a hug! Look for a little shout out from me tomorow pretty girl !

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving your blog! what a fabulous combo of food & fashion!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cute outfit! I just found your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roll ups are always great to bring to parties !

    ratedkb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...