Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blueberries N' Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, Take 2



A few months back, well, actually like 9 months ago (man, time flies!) I attempted baking.  I say attempted because baking is one of those things that I never do as well as I would like to.  But I have been dabbling in it a little here, a little there, and I am think I am getting better at it.  Here is some blueberry cream cheese coffee cake to prove it!


It turned out beautifully, don't you think?  My belly sure thinks so.  So do my hips and thighs... you seriously do not want to see the calorie count of this little treat.  I am grateful that I do not pay thaaaat  much attention to calories.  Until I am on the treadmill, that is.  Then I run and run and I look at that calorie burner count and I think, "REALLY?!  That's it?"

I have a new diet idea: make people burn the calories before they eat the treat.  Then everybody would give up sugar. 

Whatever.  I will take these calories and enjoy my cake.  Because it is so incredibly delicious and perfect for Spring.



I read somewhere, "Eat as much junk food as you like, as long as you make it yourself."  I like that motto.  Really, it can't be all junk, it has fresh blueberries in it for crying outloud!  And zested lemon peel.  That's got to count for something, right?


See?  Fresh.  Delicious.  And only 50 cents more expensive than the frozen ones.  About five times tastier though, I am sure.

I am off to grab another piece...  don't try to stop me, because it can't be done.


Blueberries N' Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, diced

  • TOPPING:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoons cold butter

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk and water. In a bowl, toss blueberries with remaining flour; fold into batter along with cream cheese. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
  • For topping, combine the flour, sugar and lemon peel in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
 Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.

(Recipe taken from the Taste of Home cookbook.)

Cost: $10.09                   Cost Per Piece (15) $0.67

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and looks delicious! I just pinned it to my 'eat to enjoy' board. And I plan to eat and enjoy this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream cheese in coffee cake is delicious every time, I think! I'm definitely saving this one... a must make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That darn calorie counter... if only it went faster I would enjoy working out a bit more ;)

    I like the cookbook, but I haven't done a lot from it yet. I like that it has variations of your normal recipes. I really need to look through it more. It was a Christmas gift -- and a good one. I like your kale switch... most definitely perfect for a Brazilian husband! You will like the post I am going to put up later ths week. Sauteed kale quesadillas. Paulo hates quesadillas, but he LOVED these. Oh the power of couve!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...