Friday, October 18, 2013

Blackberry Applesauce



I saw this great recipe for blackberry applesauce the other day -- which was perfect as I had some apples left over from apple picking.  But as I was reading through the recipe I realized it was a little more work than I wanted to do.  I mean, it was excellent if I wanted to can and store a lot, but I didn't.  I just wanted blackberry applesauce, and I wanted it now.

So I did what we all do when we need to figure out how to do something: I googled.  Because, believe it or not, I have never made applesauce.  Not once.  I only know the stuff that comes from the jar.  Oh, and those little plastic tubs that go in lunch boxes.  Yes, I know those, too...


But now I know how simple it is to make applesauce.  Which is unbelievably simple, actually.  And since I didn't really care if my blackberry seeds were in my apple sauce or not, I didn't worry about putting them through a food mill like I kept reading that I should to do remove the seeds.  I don't even know what a food mill is, so clearly I didn't have one on hand.  I just threw the berries in with the apples and moved on with my life  Simple.

I like simple.

And I also like bright pink food.  It is pretty.

So I guess this turned out perfectly for me.



What I came up with was enough applesauce for four servings.  However, if you make more, you can store it in the fridge for two weeks.

COST: $5.10           COST PER SERVING (4): $1.03

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...