Sometimes you need something fancy. Risotto. Yes, sometimes I need risotto.
Or bows on your clothes. Or sexy shoes. Maybe a night out on the town.
But sometimes you just need something cozy... jeans, warm socks, a comfy blanket. Or sweet potatoes with bacon. This is a cozy dish. Like chicken noodle soup or mashed potatoes. Cozy and easy. Two adjectives that are perfect for these days that are getting shorter and energy levels that fall away as the sun goes down...
Pair it with chicken, eggs, or anything really. It's one of those side dishes that might as well be the main dish. And honestly now, can you ever go wrong with bacon? That's what I thought.
**Speaking of bacon, use any kind of bacon you want in this dish. We are a turkey and beef bacon kind of family most of the time. When using a lower-fat bacon, though, you will need to add some olive oil to the mix as there won't be as much fat to cook the potatoes. Trader Joe's, as always, has a great selection of bacon.
SWEET POTATOES WITH BACON
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food, October 2011
SERVES 4 • PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES • TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 sliced bacon (see note above) + olive oil, if using non-pork bacon
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped sage
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine sweet potatoes, bacon, and sage; season with salt and pepper. Roast until sweet potatoes are browned in spots and tender when pierced with a knife and bacon is crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.