Sunday, October 20, 2013

Roasted Acorn Squash Salad + Speaking Honestly


I am going to be completely honest with you.

There are very few things I like about Fall.

I know, know.  Your shock and dismay are not lost on me.  I know I am supposed to be a lover of the seasons changing, of the leaves going from green to reds and golds, of the thought of scarves being tied around my neck.

And in a way, I do like those things. Honestly.  I mean, I have never seen the Northeast during this time of the year, but I bet it is fantastic.  And yes, I do appreciate getting to pull a pair of boots out of the closet. The smells, oh... even I must admit the smells are great.  Cinnamon and apples baking, pumpkin soup cooking.

So I guess it is not that I dislike Fall, it is just that I like Spring and Summer better.

And Winter?  Except for Christmas, I could totally do without it.  (Now before you get all "but-you-live-in-california-so-you-don't-know-what-winter-really-is..." -- and you are totally right -- let me share what Winter means to me: rain and shortened days. That pretty much is the sum total of Winter after Christmas has passed. So no, I do not like Winter.  I really, truly don't.)


But despite all that, there is something that Fall totally takes the cake on: the produce.

I adore Fall produce.

Pumpkins.  Apples.  Brussels sprouts (yes, even brussels sprouts).

Pears, cranberries, sweet potatoes... my list can go on and on.  I love 'em.  They are full of flavor and full of color.

My favorite of all the Fall produce, though?  Squash.  I mean, I know it is technically "winter squash", but those butternut and acorn squashes that come out around this time of year?  I cannot get enough.

Summer is fantastic, but summer squash will never be able to compete with these guys.  Need proof?  It's right here:


ROASTED ACORN SQUASH SALAD
Recipe adapted from Gourmande in the Kitchen

SERVES 2 •  PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 50 MINUTES

ingredients
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds
  • small acorn squash
  • tablespoon olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 5 oz. fresh greens, washed and dried
  • 2 oz. goat cheese

directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  While it is preheating, cut squash in half and scrape out seeds.  Cut the squash into quarters, leaving the skin on.
  2. On a large baking sheet, place squash skin side down.  Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast until tender, about 40 minutes.
  3. While squash is roasting, make reduced apple cider vinegar: pour the vinegar in to a heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat.  Add honey and stir, allowing to come to a simmer.  Cook until the vinegar is reduced to about half of the original volume.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  4. Once cool, toss greens with about 1 tablespoon of the reduced vinegar.  Store the rest of the vinegar in a sealed container. 
  5. When squash has finished roasting, remove from oven and let cool slightly.  Place on plate and top with greens, almonds, and goat cheese.  Drizzle more vinegar if desired.


COST: $3.49        COST PER SERVING (2): $1.75


Unprocessed    //    Gluten Free    //   Vegetarian

6 comments:

  1. I could see not liking autumn in California. For me, autumn in the Midwest has always been the best season. Ahh, the smells and sights. Unbeatable! Here in Madrid, it's much the same as there—rain and shortened days, all fall/winter long.

    But I totally agree about the food as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you get it. Good! I was afraid I was going to be stoned because I know most everybody LOVES autumn, but really, the rain... gah. I am always wet and cold with big, fizzy hair. NOT my favorite, at all.

      But the food, oh the food... ;)

      Delete
  2. This sound amazing! I'm really looking to adding more squash recipes to my list during the fall.

    http://www.teenyhippie.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is the way to go in fall :)

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy! i can't wait to try it! I just stumbled upon your blog thru pinterest and have already found a handful of recipes i want to try! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...