Thursday, August 30, 2012

Brown Sugar Banana Muffins with Avocado Buttercream


Friends, I have turned a corner.

A baking corner.


I used to be terrified of baking.  TERRIFIED.  But the other day I did it, just for fun.  

No 'Sundays with Joy' recipe to tackle, no friends coming over, nada.  I was just sitting on the couch, about ready to mutter those ugly words of "I'm bored!", and decided to do something about it before that phrase could escape my lips.

Even before I flipped through a cookbook I thought about all of those delicious pictures I have pinned and repinned on Pinterest and decided to just go through, one at a time, until I found one that I had all the ingredients on hand.  After three recipes, I found it:  Brown sugar banana muffins with avocado buttercream from How Sweet It Is.


I know, mine didn't come out as pretty as hers.  It's OK.  I made avocado buttercream!  And it tasted good.  Once I got over the color being on top of a muffin/cupcake (which I must admit, is actually growing on me...) I decided I liked it.  A lot.

And so did my friend Myra.  She told me I had enough and took the rest of them home with her yesterday.  Proof that avocado plus sugar is a good idea.


Bananas & avocados.  Two fruit that stand in solidarity, side by side, yet nobody knew...

For the recipe, please visit How Sweet It is HERE.  And then you can laugh at how ugly my frosting looks compared to hers ;)

*She used sour cream, which I didn't have, so I used buttermilk -- which I also didn't have.  I actually 'made' it by mixing milk with a little bit of vinegar and a tad of melted butter.  As far as I can tell, it worked just fine!
** My batched yielded 12 muffins, so I cut the avocado buttercream recipe in half.


COST: $4.95    Cost per muffin (12): $0.42


4 comments:

  1. Yay for turning corners! There's a lot of things I'm scared to do in the kitchen too. I've always liked baking more than cooking, so my fears are related to other things... It's always very satisfying when you get out of the box and do something amazing like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? It is such an accomplished-feeling, and I love it!

      Delete
  2. I like the way yours turned out too! It sounds odd at first, but after looking at them for a bit, they look soo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Mine have 'personality' -- and a lot of it ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...