Monday, September 26, 2011

Watch out, FoodGawker. Here I come!

There is a whole foodie world out there I am just discovering.  I started this little blog not even knowing the places it would take me to.  Specifically, I did not know all of the other cooks (or like me, wanna-be-cooks) out there that I would "meet" and learn from. 

I also didn't know how much the internet world is set up for people like me: people who cook, take pictures of it, and write about it.  There is a huge supply of places to visit on the web if this is what you do.  HUGE.  The one I was introduced to via another blog is FoodGawker.  FoodGawker, like Taste Spotter, is a place for all the pretty food to live.  You can submit a picture to them and if it is just right they will accept it.  But if there is anything not appealing to the eye -- anything not making it to be a great picture -- they will just say no.  I had seen/heard about it before, but as much as I know I am a pretty good photographer for most things, my food photography is definitely lacking.  I know that and that fact doesn't bother me.  It is what it is.  Hence, I had never submitted something to FoodGawker.

Until now. 

Earlier this week I just tried.  I sent them a picture.  Guess what?  They liked it!  


Shoot, I thought, this is easy.  Yeah, yeah, hold your horses, Tiffany.

See, the thing is, they are picky.  Really picky.  Every time you submit a picture they actually look at it and see if it measures up.  And if it doesn't, SLAM, you're out.

Let's just say that I have experienced FoodGawker's door slamming on my face several times now.  First time's a charm, right?

But I like that.  For one, I know that if I get a picture on FoodGawker, it is a GREAT picture.  And two, they always tell you why it didn't measure up.  "Composition too tight" or "Under exposed".  This is real feedback I can use.  These descriptions of my flaws point out exactly where I am weak and need to improve.  As I mentioned above, I know my food photography is lacking, but it doesn't mean I want to keep it that way.  It is a process, it takes time, and I am willing to do the work to get it to where I want it to be.

So, for now, I am proud that I have one picture on FoodGawker.  It is only one, but it is a beginning.  No, let me rephrase that... it is the beginning, the beginning of better things to come. 

FoodGawker, you better watch out.  Tiffany is coming your way!

my foodgawker gallery

2 comments:

  1. Foodgawker has proved very difficult to crack for me! Congrats on getting your 1st one approved, hopefully you get many more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...