- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup) or 1/2 cup milk (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup)
COST: 40 cents COST PER TORTILLA (8): 5 cents
- Sift the flour, salt & baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Into the dry ingredients cut in the shortening, or add oil if you are using this option, & mix with your fingertips to combine.
- Add the milk or water, working the liquid into the dough until a sticky ball forms.
- Wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide into 8-10 little balls. Keep a damp cloth on top of them so they don't dry out.
- Lightly dust a counter or pastry board w/flour & roll out each ball of dough into a circle or oval approximately 1/4" thick. If you want nicely rounded tortillas, trim off any ragged edges & discard. Don't roll the dough out more than once or the tortillas will be tough.
- Heat a dry griddle or heavy skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Cook the tortillas 30 seconds on each side or until the dough looks dry & slightly wrinkled & a few brown spots form on both surfaces. Do not over cook or they will be hard.
How's that for a money saver???