Friday, June 10, 2011

Tiffany has an epiphany...

Fruit.  Most people love it.  Or hate it.  Whatever.  But they eat it. 

Not me. 

The thing is, I like it.  It tastes good enough, and I know my body likes it too since it is packed with essential nutrients.  I guess it just boils down to this: If I can choose between carrots or a banana, I will choose the carrots.  Celery or an apple?  Give me the celery.  Salad?  Yum?  Fruit salad?  It is OK.  So although I like it, I like veggies better. (In my defense, I do drink fruit juice daily.  And I do eat fruit.  Just not a lot...)   

As I was at the gym today, working my butt off -- literally -- I started thinking about my after work snack that I enjoy every day.  Chocolate soy milk and a few Joe-Joe's (Trader Joe's version of Oreos.  Oh so tasty!)  As I was thinking about it, I started thinking about all the work I was doing at that moment.  Cardio, crunches, lunges.  My chocolate Silk and cookies sounded delicious, but they also sounded counter-intuitive.  Why would I be working so hard to just go put that in my body?  But I needed something to fill that spot and wouldn't you know it, the food pyramid popped into my head.

Look at all that fruit there.  Bananas, watermelon, oranges, lemons, strawberries, grapes, apples...  Have you ever played Jenga before?  I really hate that game, it stresses me out.  But I started thinking about this food pyramid like a Jenga tower.  If I take out that fruit section, what happens?  Well, the whole thing comes toppling down.

 Honestly, I don't want my whole life/health to come toppling down.

Clearly, something needed to be done.  I walked out that gym door to the one right next door -- my favorite -- Trader Joe's.  Walking down the aisles I picked up bananas, an apple, a peach, dried fruit for snacks, and juice.  I may not like to eat fruit, but I sure do enjoy drinking it, so why not replace that glass of chocolate soy milk for fruit?  And besides, my dear friend Lisa bought me that blender as a wedding present to be used, not just sit in the cupboard all year long, right?  It is time to put it to use!

Check out my fruit bowl.  (The top one is sad, I know.  Trust me, the veggie drawers in the fridge are full.)
I know it is not a lot, but Trader Joe's fruit is pricey.  This is to get me going.  Then a trip to my favorite Mexican grocery store is in order.
I timed myself to see how long it would take... 5 minutes.  I can easily give myself 5 minutes a day.  And you know what?  It was good!  Tasted delicious and it was filling.  Not only that, but I feel good.  I know I put healthy things into my body and all that hard work at the gym seems not in vain.  I am going to try this and see how it goes.  Not that this means I am giving up my chocolate Silk and cookies, but just cutting back on them.  Wish me luck!

(My parents should be so proud.  My least favorite house rule growing up was that I had to eat a piece of fruit with my breakfast, and now I am doing it on my own.  It may have taken years, but that message they put in me did get stored away somewhere...)


Fruit Smoothie on FoodistaFruit Smoothie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...