Sunday, November 3, 2013

Give Thanks 1 + Chicken Thighs over Butternut Squash


Fall is a season of orange. Seriously. Look at the leaves, the pumpkins, the recipes on my page.  Today I have another orange-colored recipe for you.  I also have some "thanks" to give out.  Because Fall is also a season of thanksgiving.

This year, instead of finding something I am grateful for (a warm bed, a home to call my own, etc.), I am focusing on someone that I am grateful for.  Many posts this month will be include these mentions of gratitude.  And I hope you will join me and share your person that you are grateful for in the comments.



Day 1I am grateful for the legacy of a pastor I had when I was 20 years old. He didn't get to see it play out because he (along with his life and son) were taken long before anyone expected, but I am thankful for him recognizing leadership ability in me when nobody else did, myself included. He sought me out to and gave me responsibility, and I grew in ways I never would have if he had not seen that potential in me.  Some day I will be able to say thank you to his face, but until then I will never forget that he was the one who started that area of growth in my life.

Day 2: I am grateful for my dad, whose words of pride started off my day.

Day 3 (today): I was going to wait until a specific date (one with great significance) to say this, but everyday it is the truth: I am grateful for my husband. BEYOND grateful. He loves me with a full love, truly is my best friend, my laughing buddy, my fellow adventure planner, and my shoulder to cry on. I am a blessed woman, and I am aware of that every day.

Who have YOU been grateful for these past three days?


BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CRANBERRIES
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food,October 2011

SERVES 4 •  PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES

ingredients
  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, and seeded
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 chicken thighs
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup dried cranberries


directions
  1. Cut the squash into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
  2. In a large pot with a heavy bottom, heat 1 T. of oil over medium-high.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and, in two batches, cook skin side down, until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate; pour off fat from pot.
  3. Add 1 T. oil, squash, and onion to pot and cook until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add sage, flour, ginger, and nutmeg.  Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, 1 minute.  Nestle chicken, skin side up, in squash mixture.  Add cranberries and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
                                                                                                         

COST: $11.93              COST PER SERVING (4): $2.98

Unprocessed    //    Fall Food    //   Dairy Free

2 comments:

  1. I love how heartwarming your posts always are! I will do this daily as well. Hehe. :) Yay for orange food! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynna! I truly appreciate that you consistently take the time to read them!!! *BIG HUG of thanks!*

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...