Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Broccoli & Pecorino Tart (Grown-up Trees with Cheese)


Broccoli.  It's one of those things I don't love.  I don't hate it, either.  In fact, I'm on solid neutral-status with it.

Except when my mom would make 'Trees with Cheese'.  Oh man, broccoli with melted Velveeta on top?  Yeah, it was six-year-old-veggie-Heaven.

But now I am all grown up and have no kids of my own, so it would be a little odd to make 'Trees with Cheese', or would it be?  How about a grown up version of it?  Now that would be great, not odd!


Broccoli, cheese, olive oil, lots of garlic (remember this blog title???), shredded Pecorino Romano, and some salt.  Mix it, spread it on thawed out puff pastry, and bake at 400F.  Simple.  And then we can all enjoy Trees with Cheese.. but this time it can be twenty-something-veggie-Heaven.

Yesssss.



Recipe slightly altered from Everyday Food, September 2012

INGREDIENTS:

  • two small heads broccoli, cut up
  • 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
  • thawed puff pastry, stretched out slightly
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Mix broccoli, garlic, olive oil, and salt in mixing bowl.
  2. Spread puff pastry out on top of foil lined baking sheet.  Using a butter knife (or scoring knife if you are fancy like that), make a slight border around the edges.  
  3. Spread broccoli mix over pastry.  Bake at 400F for 17 - 19 minutes, until puff pastry is lightly golden. Remove and let cool.  Serve at room temperature.

COST: $4.19    Cost per serving (4):$1.05

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! CAN LESS THAN $2 for serving? Nice.

    I actually prefer NOT to eat broccoli. I don`t hate it, but i prefer not too. but hey, if you say this is good, I won`t doubt you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...