Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Potato and Zucchini (and Squash and Carrot) Pancakes


Remember when I went to Vegas?  Of  course you do, because what I do is the highlight of your life, I know.  So off to Vegas we went and to the kitchen I did not go.  Not too shabby of a trade, but not so good for keeping up with my Sundays with Joy baking group. 

Here is the thing: I am committed to seeing these 100 recipes through with these girls!  Why?  Because I am having a lot of fun, I made a personal commitment and want to see it through, and I am learning tons.


I am about three months in and I took a moment to stop and think about what I have learned from this process so far.  Some of these things I learned explicitly (like, Joy told me in her book) and some of these things I learned from personal experience (remember those sour muffins that I had to throw away?  Not something Joy told me to do in the book).  But all of these things have come directly from my attempt at baking my way through the Joy the Baker Cookbook


And the best part?  It is continuing on...

like these potato and zucchini (and squash and carrot) pancakes.


Thank you, Joy.

Potato and Many-Veggies Pancakes

Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker's Potato and Zucchini Pancakes.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups shredded potatoes
1 cup shredded squash
1 cup of shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 T of olive oil, divided
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon of salt, divided

DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix shredded potatoes, squash, zucchini, and carrot and put into colander with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.  Let sit for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in 1 T of olive oil.  Set aside when translucent.
  3. Beat eggs together with baking powder and flour in large bowl.  Add onion and garlic.
  4. After veggie mixture has sat for 10 minutes, push down to squeeze excess water out.  Add to the large bowl with rest of salt (1/2 teaspoon). 
  5. Heat half of the remaining olive oil over medium heat and turn oven on to 170 degrees with a plate in there to transfer pancakes when they are done. (This will keep them warm without extra cooking.)
  6. Taking a 1/4 cup scooper, scoop out potato mixture and put in skillet and flatten out.  You can fit about 4-5 pancakes per batch.  Flip when bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.  Cook both sides and then transfer to plate in oven.
  7. Continue until all are cooked up.  Top with sour cream and enjoy! :)

COST: $5.26      COST per serving (6 servings of 3 pancakes each): $0.88

3 comments:

  1. these sound awesome! i absolutely love zucchini pancakes + potato pancakes, so i know i'd love these many-types-of-veggies-pancakes. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, every post you do I fall in love with you a little bit more! I'm so so happy you're a part of this group, it's so much fun to expand our knowledge and get to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to make them too. They look SO delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...