Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Give Thanks + Chicken Thighs over Roasted Vegetables



Apparently, I have a thing for chicken thighs. First the chicken thighs over butternut squash and cranberries, and now this. But I don't deny it. Here's why I like them: they are cheap and they taste better than the other parts. My personal preference, I know, but the money thing.. you can't argue with that!

But enough chicken-talk! Let's start giving thanks :)


Day 4:  I am grateful for my close friends who were there for me that day 11 years ago -- whether they grabbed the phone out of my hand as I started screaming or sat me down and got me the help I needed to process what I had just heard. I am grateful for one of my closest friends for holding my hand as I said goodbye to my mom one last time. And I am grateful for my one of my first childhood friends for being right there beside me during the funeral, the only person who could truly understand as she had lost her mom a few years before, and for saying the words I needed to hear: It's hard and it sucks, and it was going to suck even more before it was over, but one day it would get a little easier. Thank you.

Day 5:  I am grateful for Dang, the Hertz Rental Car employee who observed how much trouble I had getting a vehicle for a field trip in the morning -- 1 1/2 hours late and not cleaned -- and not only gave back a good portion of the money upon my return (before I could even ask), but then came around from behind the counter, sat down in the seat across from me, and listened while I explained why I was frustrated. He didn't make excuses, he didn't blame it on others (even though it was not his fault), he JUST LISTENED. 

Who/what are YOU thankful for today?


CHICKEN THIGHS OVER ROASTED VEGETABLES

SERVES 6 •  PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 55 MINUTES

ingredients
  • 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into ½-inch wedges
  • 1 pound carrots, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges, root end left intact
  • 12 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 6 boneless chicken thighs
  • lemon wedges, for serving

directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  On a rimmed baking sheet, toss fennel, carrots, onion, and garlic with 2 tablespoons rosemary and 4 tablespoons oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Roast until vegetables are tender and browned in spots, about 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.  Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and sprinkle with remaining rosemary.  In batches, cook until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes each side.  Check to make sure it is fully cooked.
  3. Serve chicken on top of roasted vegetables.  Squeeze lemon juice on top, if desired.
                                                                                                         

COST: $14.81              COST PER SERVING (6): $2.47

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...