Monday, May 9, 2011

Thirty Day Challenge: Are you brave enough?

I am going to skip any great intro and just come out and say it:  We are going to give up eating out for a month.  Completely and totally, for thirty days we are not going to have any food that does not come from our own kitchen.

It is not that we are going on some organic hippy movement, or we have lost a job and therefore cannot afford to do it.  Rather, we have some extra expenses (expected and not expected) coming up in the next two months and we want to avoid that feeling of, "Where did all of our money go?!"  You all know this feeling I speak of, and it does not feel good.  So we decided to be proactive... what could we do to cut back on this right now so when we get to the end we are not left in a state of shock?  Where does our money go, anyway?

Well...
There are detours on trips...

... and lunch dates with my love...

Celebratory dinners

Fun with the girls

Sushi (It gets a class of its own)

Snacks

Picnics with friends

Late night snacks with "family"

and finding coffee to wake this Brazilian man up in the morning.
Did you know that the average American spends more than 5% of their paycheck on eating out?  The average.  But I know a lot of you (no, surely not YOU!) would probably be able to raise your hand if I asked who falls into the ABOVE average category.  We are American, it's what we do. 

But what if we didn't?  Five percent, that is a lot of money.  If you spend more than five percent... that is a lot more money.  Think of what that could go toward. 

So here is my plan:  Starting next Monday, May 16, I am dining-out-free for thirty days.  No dinners out, no oatmeal from McDonald's when I am running late, no snacks.  Nada.  But that also means one other thing: Nothing extra being spent.  Nada, as well.  All of that extra money can go towards the other things, and leave me a little happier at the end of this heavy month.  I don't think I have ever in my entire life gone that long without grabbing at least a small bite to eat, so it will probably be a little tough, but tough things make us tougher, right?  And hopefully will keep our wallets a little more full.

Now comes the question... who's in?  Who thinks they have what it takes?  Come on, you know you wanna!  And besides, misery loves company, right? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I commend you! But I'm sorry, I don't think I'm ready to join you this month ;) Can't wait to see what time-saving things you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can stick to this and spend time appreciating the art of home cooking :) In general, we don't go out because it's expensive, it usually disappoints, and I know I can cook something better and healthier at home. I'm trying to find new ways of going out without EATING out--better for the waistline, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your challenge. That sounds like a wonderful thing. I just have to talk my partner into it as well, or it will be for naught. I'll start after I've read through your 30 days first. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a wonderful thing! A challenge, for sure, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :) Do it! It is hard, but kind of fun. Like seeing the numbers go up on the treadmill... feels kind of painful at the time, but you have the Little Engine that Could motto running through your head, "I think I can, I think I can." I will be SO proud of myself when I am done!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...