Monday, March 11, 2013

It's a love/hate relationship these days... (Sweet Potato Pizza)


Love/Hate.

Words that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.  Well, kind of.

I would say that love and apathy are on the opposite ends, in actuality.

But let's roll with this.  We hear it all the time. "I have a love/hate relationship with ______________." It might be a person, a situation, or in my case, a food.

Sweet Potato Pizza.  It's a love/hate thing, for sure.


Let's get the LOVE out there, first and foremost.

This might possibly be the best tasting pizza that has ever graced my kitchen.  Wait, might? Nah... IS.  This IS the best tasting pizza that has ever graced my kitchen.

The blend of garlic and sweet potatoes, combined with a Parmesan and fresh greens top... WOW.  And that Trader Joe's garlic herb pizza dough?  Um, HELLO.  This is vegetarian goodness that my super carnivorous husband asks for again and again.

So yes, we LOVE this pizza.


And for the HATE?

Well, that is primarily experiential.  The first three (three!) times I made it I looked at those vibrant oranges and greens, and I couldn't take pictures of it.  Darn sun that kept setting too early!  So I had to keep making it again.  And again.  And again.  Until finally I had enough light in the day to take pictures (hooray for Daylights Savings Time -- a food blogger's best friend).  But then my sweet potato was white when I peeled the skin away.  No vibrant orange for me.  Oh, the let down!  So you will just have to trust me that this is, indeed, a sweet potato pizza.

And the other bad thing?  Easy.  It goes away too fast when all I want to do is keep eating more... because really, I can't get enough.

I guess love wins.




SWEET POTATO PIZZA

ingredients
  • 1 pack fresh pizza dough or make your own (I used Trader Joe's... $1.29)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced                                                     
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 head garlic, peeled
  • 1 T olive oil + 2 T more
  • salt/pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
  • 1 cup fresh greens (baby lettuce, arugula, etc.)
directions
1.       Prepare pizza dough according to directions on package.  Mix sweet potato, onion, and garlic with 1 T. olive oil and a bit of salt/pepper in roasting pan.  Cook at 400*F for 10 minutes or until soft. 
2.      Spread dough out on pizza pan or baking tray.  Brush with remaining olive oil.  Spread cooked sweet potato mixture on top.  Top with cheese.  Bake for 13-15 min. at 400*F or until lightly golden brown.
3.      Remove pizza from oven and top with fresh greens.  Cut and serve.  ENJOY!

 COST: $5.24           COST PER SERVING (3): $1.75

facebook/twitter/pinterest

4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! Perfect for a Meatless Monday. Pizza is BIG in my house, and I have a feeling this will be making its debut soon! {btw, love how you say apathy is the opposite of love, reminds me of The Lumineers song Stubborn Love}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just listened to it for the first time -- Beautiful! Thank you for telling me about it.

      Delete
  2. Omg, I have a love/hate relationship with pizza because, seriously, I always want some. Now, this looks great! And healthier than the ones I eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks unbelievably delicious and impressive because I've never seen it before! Good job! I'll def be trying it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...