Friday, June 22, 2012

Happy Hello (Micronesian Summer, Part 5)


July 7, 2006

Happy Kasalehlie!

Yes, I just wished you a Happy Hello. Every time we drive down the street on the back of the fire truck Andy yells out, "Kasalehlie!!!" But now it has morphed into, "Happy Kasalehlie!" I am sure the locals think we are crazy.

That's ok, we are.

We have spent the last 6 nights here in Pohnpei and it has been good. Although each island is distinctly Micronesian and share very similar cultures, both Kosrae and Pohnpei have their own uniqueness and beauty. Kosrae was filled with amazingly wonderful people and a family feel, and Pohnpei is filled with things to do and beauty. Of course, the people are still nice here, yet there are much more of them and we are in an actual town, so that does make a difference. Camp this week was different. Not bad, but different. The children here are lot more un-shy than Kosraean kids, so instead of us struggling to communicate and get them to talk, we are trying to channel their energy in positive ways. We had our last day of camp today and tomorrow we are on to Chuuk. I am sure that Chuuk will come with its own challenges and triumphs as well.

Besides camp, we spent our time fishing, snorkeling, laughing, listening to Andy sing, eating soursop, and traveling around the island. Yesterday we went to Ant and saw some great snorkeling... definitely made me excited about heading out to Palau. But I don't want Palau to come too fast... I worked too hard for this trip to be over in a blink of an eye and I want to enjoy and savor every moment of it. And I think I am. I have been sitting around or doing nothing a lot, but I have yet to be bored. Last night while I was on the boat as the full moon was out I was thinking it is too bad I have student teaching this quarter because otherwise I would be out here somewhere. I used to think that something was wrong with me... why do I keep coming back to Micronesia? But I have met so many people here who were teachers here at one point and have come back to share their talents... I have discovered that there is nothing wrong with that. And I also kept thinking that this time, that time, every time, would be my last time. But it hit me on the back of a truck driving through the jungle... Micronesia will be a big part of my life for a long time. I don't know how, I don't know when, but I do believe that I have a passion for this place and these people for a reason, and I am always so happy out here. I am happy at home, very happy, but I am happy in a completely different way when I am here. When we left Kosrae, I said goodbye to so many people not knowing if I would ever see them again. But several people told me, "Tiffany, you will be back. This is not goodbye. This is see you later." I think it might be true.**

**UPDATE FROM TODAY -- I did wind up back in Micronesia a few months later after I received a letter saying I had been accepted for a 5th grade teaching position -- which I NEVER EVEN APPLIED FOR.  Another great experience in my little unknown part of the world.



Erica debating whether or not to plunge off the waterfall.  She decided yes.
Trekking across old ruins in the jungle
 My food blog has been bit by a travel bug.  Follow along as I let my words from the past answer the question, "What place(s) have you visit that made the most impact on you?"  I am too busy enjoying summer to be whipping up anything good in the kitchen anyway... ;)

PREVIOUS POST (Part 4)                                                                                                        NEXT POST (Part 5)
                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...