Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Quick Fix: Hawaiian Meatballs (Again)

If you saw my weekly menu for this week, then you would know that last night we had Hawaiian Meatballs with Rice. 

Except we didn't... when put my scooper in to the rice bag it came back almost empty.  No rice for my meatballs-with-rice.  And I had already put the meatballs, pineapple chunks, and sauce on the stove. 


I started rummaging around in my cupboards, but I could find any rice of any kind.  No arborio (which I usually have on account of being a fan of risotto), no long grain, no wild, no instant.  Not even Uncle Ben's.  (But I never have that.  I don't even know how to cook minute rice... but apparently it isn't that hard.)  However, I did have orzo.  So, no rice, but small pasta instead. 

All in all, it turned out good.  The texture was different than we are used to, but the flavor remained the same. 

You know what this means?  I did something completely different than the recipe called for, but I made it work.  I did not send my husband out to get more rice, nor did that thought even cross my mind.  I just found something that would work. 

A year ago I didn't even know what orzo was.  No joke -- the first time I used it was last Spring Break, and if my memory serves me correctly, I had to ask the Trader Joe's dude to help me find it.  Now I am whipping it out of the cupboard and throwing it into a dish that in noway calls for pasta, but sounds like it could be just the thing to get me out of that pickle I am in...

I also discovered that for some strange, odd reason, I find wooden spoons to be beautiful.  Very earthy.  So I took pictures of my spoon.



Yes, I am a little odd like that. 

(But you must admit, the color of the spoon with the pineapple can is quite nice, isn't it?)


Anyway... back to the meatballs.  They turned out nicely.  You should make up a batch yourself.  They really bring a little summer flavor into this cold month of January.


INGREDIENTS
Frozen meatballs (I use turkey)
can of pineapple chunks
jar of Soyaki (or soy sauce with minced garlic)
side of rice OR orzo ;)


RECIPE
Make the rice/orzo/whatever.  Meanwhile, the meatballs, drained pineapple chunks, and 1/2 jar of Soyaki together.  Cook 20 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Set on top of rice. 

COST: $6.68                  PER SERVING (4): $1.67

Throw a little salad on the plate to go with it, and you are just slightly above $2.
Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...