Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October Unprocessed: Split Pea Soup (Tiffany Style)


I know, I know, that doesn't look like soup, it looks like mush... but it is on purpose, trust me.

As I have said many times before, I love soup.  LOVE it.  And split pea soup?  Oh man, one of my favorites.  I can't count the numerous times I have opened a can of Andersen's Split Pea Soup, dropped it into the pot with some water, and five minutes later enjoyed the whole thing by myself, completely savoring every bite.  It used to be a staple ingredient in my diet.  And add some Gouda on top... maybe some crumbled bacon... oh yeah.

However, I have never been a fan of soupy split pea soup.  I have always added less water than it calls for and cooked it until it was thick.  So that gloopy mess you see up there?   That is the way I like it.  Kind of like split pea mashed potatoes.  Paulo on the other hand, likes it soupy.  So we compromised.  Soupy the first night and let it sit, and then mushy the next night.  Ahh... left overs.  Slimy green leftovers.  The dinner of champions.

And it really is the dinner champions.  You want to know the ingredients?  All natural, all plant based.  No bullion cubes, no dairy, nada.  I took that made-from-scratch vegetable stock left over from the other day, threw in some more carrots, celery, and onion, added a little more water, and of course -- the peas.  Dropped in two bay leaves and a bit of salt, let it simmer for two hours (while I did whatever I jolly well felt like) and ta-da!  Dinner, my friends, was served.  Originally, it looked something like this:

{SOURCE}

So, nothing but veggies.  Did it taste good?  Oh yes!  Paulo says we don't even need to go to Pea Soup Andersen's anymore.  I say, "Well... we'll see."  Like I said, I love pea soup, and I cannot imagine ever turning it down.


INGREDIENTS:
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 lb. split peas
2 bay leaves
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water if you want it mushy, 3 cups if you want it more soupy
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
Bring all ingredients to boil in large pot.  Lower heat to medium low and simmer for 1-2 hours, until the peas separate and it reaches the desired consistency. 

COST: $2.70                    PER SERVING (4): $0.68
Add bread and butter -- still under a buck.  Woot-woot!

2 comments:

  1. I love your soup. One thing I noticed was the cost. You can eat well, healthy and delicious food made at home with a great price. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe! I also enjoy "chunky" soup. Yummy and economical is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...