Friday, October 4, 2013

Apple-Cider Cheese Fondue


Everybody's into seasonal things these days.  It seems like every year there are more and more expectations about what we should do, wear, eat during each new season.  Or maybe this is nothing new.  Maybe I just missed the memo while I was busy playing at the beach year round.  And maybe I am just noticing it more today because, well, we are more share-y and connecty these days.  (I would like those words to be adjectives, so I made them so.  I am sorry to all of you language buffs out there!)

Either way, I have clearly been missing out.  I mean, besides Christmas and Easter, 4th of July and Thanksgiving, there have never been special foods around me, nor was I aware that you are supposed to change every pillow in your house each tilt of the earth.

Ok, for the food part I was missing out.  The whole super-decoration thing?  Yeah... I have Christmas pillows and I have every-other-time-of-the-year pillows.  I think I will stick with that.

But the other thing I have been missing out on?  Fall activities.

DUDE.  Apple picking is the bomb.  And corn mazes?  Well, I can't tell you much about them as I have never done one, but I imagine it is pretty cool, too.  I will let you know when I find out.  And I will find out this year.


I had two thoughts while I was picking our apples: "Why haven't we done this before???" (as the orchard is pretty close to our house) and "I am so grateful for those who do this for me everyday!" (as it is fun for an hour, but I cannot imagine being out there all day long, everyday.  My gratitude goes out to all the farmers and field workers who do this for us.)

When I came home I had some different thoughts: "What am I going to do with all of these apples?"

Well, I've figured out one thing... apple cider cheese fondue!


I would have never thought of mixing cheese and apple.  Chocolate?  Yes, most definitely.  Caramel?  Peanut butter?  Of course!  But cheese?

Yet it works.  And it is simple.

A cup of cider, a bunch of cheese, a little bit of corn starch, and a dash on nutmeg.  Five minutes from start to finish, and a perfect afternoon snack during this season that we are enjoying.  Or pretending to enjoy, as it is a nice 84 degrees outside, no humidity in the air.

Ok, so I may have missed out on some things living in California, but pleasant weather is not one of them...


APPLE-CIDER CHEESE FONDUE
From Rachael Ray Everyday, October 2013

SERVES 6  •  PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 5 MINUTES

ingredients
  • 1 cup cider
  • 8 ounces yellow cheddar, shredded
  • 8 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • a dash of nutmeg
  • sliced apples, for serving

directions
  1. In a medium saucepan, bring the cider to a simmer over medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss the cheeses with the cornstarch. Gradually stir the cheese mixture into the cider until melted and smooth. Add nutmeg to taste. Transfer to a fondue pot. Serve with sliced apples.


COST: $6.34        COST PER SERVING (6): $1.06

Gluten Free    //    30 Min or Less    //   Vegetarian

1 comment:

  1. I`ve heard that apples and cheese goes well together! I`ve seen recipes for apples and cheese (brie, i think?) grilled sandwiches! I want to go apple picking so badly, but I`m too far away from one.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...