Thursday, September 5, 2013

It's Still Summer + Tomato and Beet Salad


School has started and Labor Day weekend came and went... sounds like summer is over.

Except, it is not.  Don't let those shiny, new backpacks and rules about not wearing white fool you.  Summer is alive and well, and I intend to celebrate it a little more.  

It only comes around once a year, after all, and really is the best season. (Ok, maybe it is tied with spring. I sure do enjoy spring as well...)


If you look at a calendar or at the daily weather forecast, you will see that it actually is still summer, at least until September 22.  So I plan on rounding up, to October.  I will start celebrating fall in October.  Which means unlike the other blogs you are seeing out there, you won't see pumpkin and apple recipes popping up yet.  They will come, trust me, but for now I will enjoy the bountiful harvest of tomatoes, bell peppers, and summer squash.  I hope you enjoy them with me.

Long live summer!

PS -- How did I live this long without knowing how DELICIOUS roasted beets are?  They taste nothing like their might-as-well-be-eating-dirt raw/slightly cooked selves.  Expect to see more of these popping up in my recipes!


TOMATO & ROASTED BEET SALAD
From Everyday Food, July/August 2012

SERVES 4  •  PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME:  85 MINUTES

ingredients
  • 1 pound scrubbed small beets
  • 2 pounds tomatoes, preferably heirloom
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • ¼ cup crumbled feta
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Seal beets in a foil packet.  Roast on a rimmed baking sheet until tender, 75 minutes.  When cool, rub beets with a paper towel to remove skins; slice.
  2. Slice large tomatoes, and halve cherry tomatoes, then arrange with beets on a platter.  Top with feta, cilantro, and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

COST: $6.75      COST PER SERVING (4): $1.69

2 comments:

  1. Haha, In SoCal, it still feels like Summer even though it`s officially Fall. This salad is BEAUTIFUL. I love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still feels like summer here, too... 84 today. Not complaining ;) (We do live in CA for a reason, right???)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...