Monday, February 4, 2013

Mashed Sweet Potatoes


I lived my entire life missing out on one of life's greatest food sources.  I can pinpoint the moment when I decided I knew that I didn't like sweet potatoes, one Thanksgiving years ago.  I tried candied yams and knew without a doubt in my 13-year-old mind that I would never eat yams or sweet potatoes ever again.  NEVER.

And I held true to that for 16 1/2 years.


The truth is, I would still be in that boat if I did not 'need' to make Joy the Baker's sweet potato cookies for the baking group I am in.  And I would have been fine, like a kid is fine the first year or two of their life when their parents vow never to give them sugar.  But then one day they have chocolate cake or a brownie and their little brain says, "Hey, why have you been holding out on me, huh?!"

That was the conversation I had with myself this winter after those cookies: "Why have you been holding out on me?!"

Sweet potatoes are GOOD! Really good. In fact, so good that you will be seeing at least three sweet potato recipes in the next week or two.  Why?  Because I want to eat them ALL. DAY. LONG.

And the easiest way to do that?  Mashed sweet potatoes.  Takes 15 minutes (mostly while you are waiting for the potatoes to boil) and tastes like Heaven on a spoon.  No more living in sweet potato ignorance for me!




MASHED SWEET POTATOES

Ingredients


  • 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream 
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the potatoes until soft when pierced with a fork, about 12 minutes. Drain return to the pot.
  2. Toss remaining ingredients into the pot and stir with a fork, until soft and creamy. 

COST: $2.20   COST PER SERVING (4): $0.55

6 comments:

  1. I News to make these immediately!!!!!!! Thank you:) I love eating sweet potatoes cubed with turnips and apples as a roasted medally but these look amazing. Seriously, these will be on m next meal plan! Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turnips, apples, and sweet potatoes? BRILLIANT! I will have to try that, soon!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE sweet potatoes. So yummy and good for you! I'm hungry now looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best?! Love love love them (now)!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Although I still don't like sweet potatoes, I can appreciate your story. And I adore your photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this dish everywhere during Thanksgiving! My mom loves eating sweet potatoes. I should suggest to her to try them mashed!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...