Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Peppermint Joe-Joe Ice Cream (No ice cream maker required)



I am a lover of peppermint.  Not just at Christmas time, either.  It isn't unusual to hear me order a peppermint hot chocolate at Startbucks in July.  And they comply, albeit with a slight shake of the head. I know -- I am breaking the peppermint rule: it is a Christmas treat, and that's that.

But who says so?  Not me.  I say give me peppermint all year long, and I will show you a happy girl.

My favorite peppermint thing?  Peppermint Joe-Joe's from Trader Joe's.  Crazy goodness, right there. Like an Oreo (but better!) with real pieces of candy cane crushed into the cream.  Um, HELLO.  Could they have created anything better?  No, definitely not.

Except... I did :)

I took my favorite cookie (which we stock up on around Christmas so they can last until about April when they expire -- smart, right?!) and turned it into my favorite type of dessert: ICE CREAM.

Best part is that you don't even need an ice cream maker, just a blender or food processor, and mixer of some sort, and a freezer.  SHEZAM!  Pepperminty deliciousness in a bowl.

Merry Christmas!


PEPPERMINT JOE-JOE’S ICE CREAM

SERVES 6  •  PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES + FREEZING

ingredients:
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 5-6 Peppermint Joe-Joe’s cookies from Trader Joe’s
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract

directions
  1. In a blender or food processor, blend sweetened condensed milk with cookies.
  2. Combine whipping cream and peppermint extract in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Beat cream/extract with a mixer on medium-high speed until whipped cream is formed. 
  3. Combine sweetened condensed milk mixture with whipped cream and pour into airtight plastic container, such as a larger-sized Ziploc Smart-Snap container.  Freeze eight hours or overnight.


COST: $6.23        COST PER SERVING (6): $1.04

Ice Cream    //    Dessert    //   Peppermint


4 comments:

  1. This recipe does remind me of mine from today--how fun! :)
    Are the cookies like Oreos? (I don't have a Trader Joe's).
    I can't wait to try this!
    www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have a Trader Joe's?! :( But Oreo's would work just fine -- they are the same thing, just the Joe-Joe's don't have artificial flavors/preservatives, but the exact same concept. I am sure you can find some pepperminty-oreo's somewhere :)

      Delete
  2. Those are my favorite cookies. I love that you used them in ice cream. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I`ve seen these at TJs, but have yet to try them!! I love that this ice cream recipe is so simply, though! I love peppermint, or anything minty, really!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...