I am a lover of peppermint. Not just at Christmas time, either. It isn't unusual to hear me order a peppermint hot chocolate at Startbucks in July. And they comply, albeit with a slight shake of the head. I know -- I am breaking the peppermint rule: it is a Christmas treat, and that's that.
But who says so? Not me. I say give me peppermint all year long, and I will show you a happy girl.
Except... I did :)
I took my favorite cookie (which we stock up on around Christmas so they can last until about April when they expire -- smart, right?!) and turned it into my favorite type of dessert: ICE CREAM.
Best part is that you don't even need an ice cream maker, just a blender or food processor, and mixer of some sort, and a freezer. SHEZAM! Pepperminty deliciousness in a bowl.
PEPPERMINT JOE-JOE’S ICE CREAM
SERVES 6 • PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES • TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES + FREEZING
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 5-6 Peppermint Joe-Joe’s cookies from Trader Joe’s
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a blender or food processor, blend sweetened condensed milk with cookies.
- Combine whipping cream and peppermint extract in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Beat cream/extract with a mixer on medium-high speed until whipped cream is formed.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk mixture with whipped cream and pour into airtight plastic container, such as a larger-sized Ziploc Smart-Snap container. Freeze eight hours or overnight.