Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cream Cheese Hummus Pita Bites


Our neighborhood is pretty awesome. It is December 22 and there are people out BBQing together. The other day one neighbor came over with a plate of cookies and a chat by the Christmas tree. The next day another neighbor called to ask if we needed some extra lights as they had leftovers. And last night we all got together to do a Progressive Party up and down the block.

Yup, we are pretty rockin'.


I know there are many neighborhoods like this -- I grew up in one -- but it seems to be less and less common. At least in my adult years. People are busy, schedules are full, lives are different from one house to the next.  But I am grateful that today I get to be a part of a place that celebrates community.


My contribution during the stop at our house? Sparkling cider and this: cream cheese hummus. Everyone else ooh'ed and ahh'ed, and I smiled because I know it took me five minutes. I mean, really, do I have time during the holiday season to make something time consuming? No, I do not. Which is why this is perfect. Perfectly simple, perfectly delicious. And will go perfectly with our Christmas dinner in a few days... one less thing I have to stress over. That's a holiday win.

(This hummus is great for the usual "dip" and also spread on pita crackers topped with green onions. Both taste fabulous, one looks a little more fancy... you choose :) )


CREAM CHEESE HUMMUS PITA BITES


YIELDS 1½ CUP HUMMUS  •  PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES   TOTAL TIME: 5 MINUTES PLUS ASSEMBLING PITA BITES

ingredients:
  • 2 cans Garbanzo beans, one fully drained, one still with liquid
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • ¼ cup chopped green onion, plus more for garnish
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 package of pita crackers, plus any item for dipping
 directions
  1. In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth.  Either spread on pita crackers and top with green onion garnish, or serve as dip.

COST: $7.42

3 comments:

  1. Aww, what a lovely neighborhood community you have! I didn`t really grow up in such a tight community, but I`m jealous whenever I hear these similar stories! These look so cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! Perfect party-food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look tempting, and perfect to serve while watching March Madness. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...