Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Strawberry Chocolate French Toast



Normally I wake up at the crack of dawn (or before), schluff off to the kitchen, pour a bowl of cereal and milk, and chomp down, just trying to wake up.  Then about 30 minutes later my husband wakes up and does the same thing.  It is one of the things that just is what it is.  When you have to head out at 7:10 in the morning -- and you are not really a morning person -- that is as good as it gets.

But not during summer!  Whenever I have time off of work I get to sleep in until 7:10 (yes, I try to wake up at that time even though I have nowhere I need to be) and I can enjoy my breakfast. 

So.
Much.
Better.


Surprisingly, that "All I need for breakfast is cereal, every single day, nothing different ever, please" man of mine was down for this, as well.

Really, who wouldn't be?

Nutella (or in my case, cocoa almond spread) sandwich fried into french toast, with strawberries and powdered sugar on top...  Even though he does not believe bacon and eggs are breakfast food, this counts.  Ok, ok... we can save bacon and eggs for dinner.  But this is a new breakfast favorite for us!


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb. of strawberries, tops cut off and sliced in half
3 T of white sugar, divided
8 slices of bread (white, preferably)
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a few dashes of cinnamon
2 T butter, divided into for parts
powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Mix strawberries and 2T of sugar together.  Set aside.
  2. Make four chocolate sandwiches. 
  3. Mix eggs, milk, cinnamon, remaining white sugar, and vanilla together.  Dip on sandwich at a time into mixture, putting on non-stick skillet with butter melted, medium heat.  Make sure to get both sides eggy.
  4. Fry each sandwich until light golden color on each side.  Top with powdered sugar through fine mesh seive (if you have one) and put strawberries on top.

Cost: $3.80   Cost per serving (4): $0.95

9 comments:

  1. Mouth is watering! That looks so yummy! I will be making this very soon :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...wow. Those look amazing. And what gorgeous photography Tiffany!!
    XO - Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I would be up at 5am for those babies! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You know how I love great breakfast options...And the Nutella is another treat for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks impossibly delicious! Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh this needs to happen at my house this weekend! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so dangerously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love chocolate covered strawberries and here you add those delicious flavors to French Toast? Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...