Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Peppermint Crinkle Cookies {Cookie Swap Recipe}


My poor baking gadgets have been neglected.  There they sat, in the drawer, lonely and wondering what they did that was so bad to make me never take them out to see the light of day or feel the heat of the oven.

Poor babies.

Good thing the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap came to the rescue!


This was the second year I participated in this cookie swap, and both times I have had so much fun!  I mean, who doesn't like to have boxes of cookies -- freshly baked, I might add -- show up at their door?!  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Last year I sent off some cookies to Tennessee, and later met and became friends with the lady who received my box.  And, completely randomly, I received a box from someone who lives in the same little town in Illinois that my mother and grandmother grew up in.

Cookie swaps make the world just a little bit smaller...

How nice of OXO to send us all spatulas!  You can get one of these
bad boys for yourself HERE, and half of the proceeds go to fight
cancer in kids.  SWEET!
Of course, there is always the task of finding the perfect cookie recipe.  Since it can't be one that is on your blog yet (and if you are like me, you can only cook things that you put/have put on your blog), that means you need to find a new recipe.  One that you will like, one that strangers will like, one that ships well.

Luckily we live in the day and age of Pinterest.  Within five minutes I found it.

Cookies that taste like brownies???

Yes, please!



To celebrate my favorite flavor of Christmas, I added some peppermint extract.  Peppermint + chocolate = a merry Christmas, if you ask me.

And so, Peppermint Crinkle Cookies were born.  They lived a good life, for about five minutes, until my husband gobbled them all up, leaving me with one.

He apparently forgot that sharing was caring.

How nice of him to leave me one... ;)

In the end, these cookies traveled from my home in California to New York, Maryland, and another city not too far away from me, hopefully to arrive in tact and still fresh.  You never know with the busy holiday mail season!

And the best part?  I got cookies, too!  Thank you Natalie at The Sweets Life and Taylor at Greens & Chocolate.  You ladies had me at the peppermint...  As for Beka, your coconutty cookies were a perfect treat for this half-Brazilian home.  You brought a little bit of Natal our way.  Thank you!

Cookies from Taylor @ Green&Chocolate

Another holiday season, another cookie swap in the bag.  Merry Christmas!



Recipe adapted from the Magnolia Bakery in Los Angeles
MAKES 24-30 cookies
INGREDIENTS:  
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups White sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon Baking powder
½ tsp. Salt
½ cup powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a small bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, 2 tsp. baking powder and ½ tsp. salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium size stainless steel bowl whisk together 1 cup cocoa, 2 cups white sugar and ½ cup vegetable oil.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking slightly after each.
4. Stir in the vanilla just until mixed.
5. Stir the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture.
6. Cover dough and chill for at least 30 minutes
7. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
8. Using a scoop, roll dough into a one inch balls.
9. Roll the balls in powdered sugar coating generously.
10. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and bake  cookies for 10-12 minutes just until set. Watch these cookies carefully. They are like a brownie and are better when the center is just barely set. The cookies will “crack” on top exposing the soft chocolate center.

COST: $3.16    COST PER DOZEN (about 3): $1.06



18 comments:

  1. those look really good! and so inexpensive! they look really pretty in your photographs.
    floralandfudge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at how cheap they were. Budget cookies that taste like fancy ones :)

      Delete
  2. Yum. I love you even more now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I loved the mint in these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope they shipped well and that you were able to enjoy them!!!

      Delete
  4. You reminded of how much I need to try this cookie out! I`ve always seen them around, but never made them myself. MUST. TRY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do. I kept seeing them and finally went for it. However, the peppermint was my own twist. Simple, but I put my little stamp on it, hehehe ;)

      Delete
  5. YUM! Those cookies look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at brownie.... no, you had me at peppermint! No... you had me at HELLO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm what a yummy twist on crinkle cookies! Obviously, I love peppermint and chocolate together, so these sound perfect!! So glad you liked the cookies I sent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I did! I think I ate them all by myself... No, wait. I shared. I think my husband got ONE ;) THANK YOU!

      Delete
  8. Your cookies were so amazing! The BF immediately claimed these as his own, and I found only the crumbs in a bag on the kitchen counter two days later when I went looking for them. I think I got one cookie when they first arrived! My BF isn't even a sweets person so you must have must some magic in there for him to house a whole dozen! Thank you! Can't wait to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My husband did the exact same thing. At least we got one!

      Delete
  9. I love crinkle cookies. I only have done them in chocolate, my moms recipe but I love the addition of peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They must be delicious!! Gotta try and make them;) thanks for the recipe dear
    (I love your blog so must, I wanna try every single of your recipe:p)
    Happy New Year!!!
    Beijinho*

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for making my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...